Montgomery Turner's store

Title

Montgomery Turner's store

Description

Photo of the first store is Banks, owned by Montgomery Turner.
[caption] First Store in Banks Built About 1901 at North Main Street near Banks Road; 'Gum' Montgomery Turner (owner), left of post, wife Vessie (Parmley) Turner, right of post. High false front's were typical of small town first generation construction. Such created the illusions of a metropolis on the edge of a frontier. Built economically with simple gable and shed roof building, such reflected the business image directing customers attention on store with big, bold false front style billboard advertising instead of the second story commonly used as living quarters. Gum's younger brother, Ewell Turner (born 1870) was the store's first operator until Gum returned from his Cincinnati-Chattanooga railroad position of engineer in 1904. Gum having previously established the mercantile business at Banks, then took charge of the store.

Date Created

circa 1900s

Subject

Stores, Retail
Turner, Montgomery

Place

Banks, Oregon

Medium

copy prints

Language

English

Identifier

BHSpic_062

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Banks Historical Society at bankshistorysociety@gmail.com

Source

Banks Historical Society