Greenville, Oregon in the 1870s. The town had growth enough by this time to justify a post office, but the town dwindled as Banks and Forest Grove prospered, and the post office in Greenville was moved to Banks in 1907.
[caption] Greenville Oregon 1870's [sic]; Greenville emerged in the 1870's [sic] on the donation land claim of Franklin Pierce, a pioneer of 1852. A supply center for those who lived between Buxton and Forest Grove. This crossroads town was located 2 miles south of present-day Banks. Greenville's early status as a village was signaled by the establishment of a post office in 1871. Three years later, Pierce opened a store, to be joined in 1877 by Hon. Jesse Clemens Moore, another pioneer in 1852 -- he served as Washington County assessor & sheriff, and member of OR legislature.
Cities and towns
Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Banks Historical Society at email@example.com
Banks Historical Society