Bob Banks, butcher

Title

Bob Banks, butcher

Description

Robert 'Bob' Banks stands at the counter of his butcher shop in Banks.
[caption] 'Bob' Robert M. Banks was proprietor of the first butcher shop of the area, named The Banks Market. This meat market stood prominently on the NE corner of Main & Market Streets, today the location is known as Dayspring Church. The one-story building, had a bold painting of a steer's head height on the false front. Bob built a weighing station directly in front of this store for convenience. Most of the meat came from cattle, pigs, and sheep Bob or local ranchers raised for the local market. His slaughter house was below his farm known as Sun hill Farm located west of Union Point Cemetery. he sold the market to Charlie Kessler and Roy Stafford about 1913. Initially his slaughter house was located on Cedar Canyon Road. [second caption] Robert M. Banks; Photo early 1900's [sic]

Date Created

circa 1900s

Subject

Butchers
Storefronts
Banks, Robert Melvin

Place

Banks, Oregon

Medium

copy prints

Language

English

Identifier

BHSpic_088

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Banks Historical Society at bankshistorysociety@gmail.com

Source

Banks Historical Society