Sign for Scoggins Dam construction

Title

Sign for Scoggins Dam construction

Description

Color image of a sign giving details about the Scoggins Dam project. Scoggins Dam and Henry Hagg Lake were constructed as a part of the Tualatin Project, intended to provide drinking water and irrigation for farms and communities in the Tualatin River watershed. Construction on the dam began in June of 1972, and the lake was opened for public recreation in the summer of 1975. Washington County maintains the recreation area and the dam with the help of the local Elks lodges, while the facilities and the lake are owned by the Bureau of Reclamation. Scoggins Dam is named for Gustavus Scoggins, whose family settled in what would become Washington County in 1848. Henry Hagg was a long time resident of the Scoggins Valley and had been one of the original initiators of the Scoggins Dam project in 1934.
[front] [painted on sign] United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Tualatin Project - Oregon. Scoggins Dam. Type: Zoned Earthfill. Embankment: 3,700,000 Cubic Yards. Structural Height: 147 Ft. Height above ground level: 110 Ft. Crest length: 2700 Ft. Reservoir Capacity: 59,170 Acre Ft. Outlet Tunnel: 950 Ft. Long, 6' Circular Section Upstream, 10 1/2' Horseshoe Section Downstream. Spillway: Gated Concrete Chute, 43 Ft. to 50 Ft. Wide. Completion Date --- January 1975. Contractor: Peter Kiewit Sons Co. Vancouver, Wash.

Date Created

circa 1972-1975

Subject

Earth dams
Reservoirs
Water districts
Irrigation water
Regional planning
Construction
Economic History
Scientific History
Urban Planning & Development

Place

Scoggins Creek, Oregon

Medium

photographic prints

Identifier

WCMpic_013184

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Five Oaks Museum at Research@FiveOaksMuseum.org.

Source

Robert L. Benson Research Library, Five Oaks Museum

Collection