Congregational Church of Forest Grove

Title

Congregational Church of Forest Grove

Description

The first Congregational Church was destroyed by fire in 1901. This church was designed by Forest Grove architect F. M. Starrett and built on the church’s property at 21st Avenue between Main Street and College Way in 1905. It too was destroyed by fire in 1919. This wood building has a gable roof design with a smaller gable on the two opposite sides. There are two entrances on the front with the main entrance in the middle and is also the bell tower. The upper portion of each gable has a distinctive black section. The bell tower also has a black section. Each gable has a large arched stained glass window. There is a concrete sidewalk, curb and paved street. On the left in the background store fronts can be seen on Pacific Avenue and on the right, storefronts can be seen on Main Street.
[front] Congregational Church, Forest Grove Ore.

Date Created

circa 1917

Subject

Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Church buildings
Architecture
Local & State History

Place

Forest Grove, Oregon

Medium

photographic postcards

Language

English

Identifier

FHFG_pic0062

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact Friends of Historic Forest Grove at Friends@FGHistory.org.

Source

Friends of Historic Forest Grove