Goff House, Forest Grove

Title

Goff House, Forest Grove

Description

A late 1920s photograph of 2138 17th Avenue, Forest Grove, which stands in the Clark National Historic District. Streets in town were renamed and renumbered in 1949; its original address would have been 130 S. 3rd Ave E.
In the survey that established the Clark historic district, this structure was described as follows: 'The Goff House at 2138 17th Avenue stands on [land] once owned by the Thomas Roe family. Thomas Roe and his wife, Mary Ann, bought this property in the early 1870s. [...] In 1907, a year before Thomas Roe's death, one of the Roe daughters, Anna Roe Goff, bought this corner parcel from the larger Roe homestead property. The Goff House was probably built around 1908. The Goff brothers (H.J. and W.W. Goff) operated a hardware and implement store in Forest Grove for many years in the 1910s and 1920s' (Survey for the Clark National Historic District, Forest Grove, 2002).

Fannie Goff -- probably one of the Goff Family children -- was in the Pacific University class of 1931. This photograph appears in an album that was compiled by Edith, a 1930 Pacific University graduate.

Identifier

PUA_MS49_507

Rights

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/