Forest Grove High School

Title

Forest Grove High School

Description

This brick three story building facing Elm Street was the first dedicated High School building and was called South Park High School. There is a concrete sidewalk in front and the street is paved with a curb. A flagpole that was present in an earlier photograph is on seen in this photograph. Also, the building has been added onto the left end with a single story extension. A new building is seen on the right at the corner of Elm Street and 17th Street. On the 17th Street side of the new building there is a mid to late 1930's school bus. At the far right of the picture on the school grounds and in the shade of a tree are two men (boys) wearing what looks like baseball uniforms. One has number 10 on the back. The building was sold to the Catholic Church and was being converted when it was destroyed by fire in 1956. The gymnasium, across Elm Street, was torn down in the mid 1980's. Across 17th Street is what would become Rogers Park. Due to a housing shortage during WWII the government had some trailers moved onto the city block.
[front] High School Forest Grove Ore. ‘VI’ B24.

Date Created

circa 1945

Medium

photographic postcards

Language

English

Identifier

FHFG_pic0052

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact Friends of Historic Forest Grove at: rights@fhfg.org