Congregational Church of Forest Grove

Title

Congregational Church of Forest Grove

Description

The first Congregational Church was destroyed by fire in 1901. This church was designed by Forest Grove architect F. M. Starrett and built on the church’s property at 21st Avenue between Main Street and College Way in 1905. It too was destroyed by fire in 1919. This wood building has a gable roof design with a smaller gable on the two opposite sides. There are two entrances on the front with the main entrance in the middle and is also the bell tower. The upper portion of each gable has a distinctive black section. The bell tower also has a black section at the top just before the square pyramid hip roof. There are two more black bands on the bell tower. Each gable has a large arched stained glass window. There appears to be a well pump in the left side yard. There also appears to be a sidewalk along the front side along with a tall curb and the street is packed dirt. On the right in the background horses are tied up on Main Street behind them is a building with a sign above the awning THE BAZAAR.
[front] 5167 Congregational Church, Forest Grove, Ore.

Date Created

circa 1905

Medium

photographic postcards

Language

English

Identifier

FHFG_pic0061

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact Friends of Historic Forest Grove at: rights@fhfg.org