U.S. Navy blimp, Seaside, Oregon

Title

U.S. Navy blimp, Seaside, Oregon

Description

This blimp is from the Tillamook Naval Air Station on patrol during World War II. The photo was taken from Seaside Beach looking south toward Tillamook Head. During World War II the U.S. Navy had a naval air station just outside Tillamook. Two wooden blimp hangers were constructed to house a squadron of blimps. These hangers were huge inside, so huge that each contained eight blimps. Construction started in August, 1942 and patrols started in the summer of 1943. The blimps were sent out on missions to patrol the shipping lanes and search for enemy submarines. The blimps were also tasked with watching for a Japanese invasion fleet and escorting the Liberty Ships and Air Craft Carriers being constructed at the Swan Island shipyards, once they reached the mouth of the Columbia River. On September 15, 1945, two weeks after the Japanese surrender, Tillamook station was reduced to functional status. In October, the last two blimps left for California, and by mid-1946, all wings were decommissioned by the U.S. Navy.
[front] 282. Blimp over Tillamook Head – Seaside, Ore.

Date Created

1943 - 1945

Medium

photographic postcards

Language

English

Identifier

FHFG_pic0331

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact Friends of Historic Forest Grove at: rights@fhfg.org