Dr. C. J. Mendenhall, wagon

Title

Dr. C. J. Mendenhall, wagon

Description

A man sits on a load of wooden pallets in a wagon hitched to a two-horse team. On the back of the wagon is a large, cloth-covered bale. The man holds the reins for a two-horse team and a whip or goad of some sort. The road is plank, and the building behind the wagon has a raised porch, carved spindles that support the roof, and a large, double window that frames a recessed doorway. A power pole stands by the corner of the building, and the side of the next building shows paned, double-hung windows in a series of three on each of two floors beneath a gabled roof.
[Back] Dr. C. J. Mendenhall, settled in Buxton in 1884, operated mail and passenger service from Forest Grove twice each week until the railroad line in 1906. Henry Hannon and Sons Store and Mendenhall took the job of hauling from depot 1/2 mile away.

Date Created

circa 1900s

Medium

photographic prints

Language

English

Identifier

WCMpic_000368

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Five Oaks Museum at Research@FiveOaksMuseum.org.

Collection