Congregational Church, Forest Grove

Title

Congregational Church, Forest Grove

Description

Photo of a wooden church with a bell tower and steeple. The church has a gabled roof with three large windows with colored panes in a row down the visible side. The front has two levels of double-hung, paned windows which bracket a protruding, square bell tower. A covered porch with square carved columns and an arched pediment further extends from the building. Steps lead down to a boardwalk that runs across a grassy field to the church. Bare oak trees bracket the image front and more can be seen in the right of the image. The bell tower has windows in the second and third stories of its front, and is topped by a square belfry with louvered windows a four-sided steeple rises further and is topped by a small cross.
[Back] Congregational Church - 1859. Forest Grove, Ore. This church was dedicated Oct. 26th 1859. Rev. Elkanah Walker was the first pastor. This building was thrice remodeled. 1st time - 1877. 2nd ' ' - 1890. 3rd ' ' - 1899. It was destroyed by fire, July 7th, 1901.

Date Created

circa 1890s-1900s

Medium

photographic postcards

Language

English

Identifier

WCMpic_000463

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Five Oaks Museum at Research@FiveOaksMuseum.org.

Collection