Second and Washington Streets, Hillsboro

Title

Second and Washington Streets, Hillsboro

Description

A photograph of downtown Hillsboro, Oregon taken looking north from the intersection of Second and Washington Streets circa 1880. In the foreground, three girls hold hands while standing on a wooden sidewalk. The Commercial Hotel, built around 1866, is on the left, with a gas streetlamp nearby. The Feed & Livery shop, which had an opera house above it, is on the right. A group of four boys and two men are standing in front of the Feed & Livery shop. A gas lamp stands just behind the group. This photograph was donated to the museum by Verne McKinney, a local businessman whose family had lived in the area since at least the early 1900s.
[back] [pen] 81 or 82 years ago. [blue pen] Lee & Joyce Marks, Waitsburg. [address redacted]. [black pen] Donor - Verne McKinney - 1967. [pencil] 2nd looking N. from Hillsboro. [pen] Hotel built about 1866. Commercial Hotel, N-W corner of 2nd and Wash., Hillsboro, Oregon. South-East corner Opera House over Feed & Livery.

Date Created

circa 1880

Medium

card photographs

Language

English

Identifier

WCMpic_001728

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Five Oaks Museum at Research@FiveOaksMuseum.org.

Collection