Jacktown School #17


Jacktown School #17


Black and white image of ten students standing outside of their school. Founded in 1856, Jacktown school was located south of Hillsboro. In 1910, the district built a new one-room school at the intersection of Farmington and Jacktown Roads. During the war years of the 1940s, it became increasingly difficult to maintain and staff these small, one-room schools, and many districts consolidated with each other. Jacktown's last school was razed after 1949, when the district merged with several others to form what is now Groner Consolidated Elementary. This image was taken in the mid-1930s, and the teacher is identified in museum records as Miss Evelyn Hesse. She is possibly the woman standing in the back row, second from the right. See WCMpic_013087 and WCMpic_013088 for other images of Jacktown School. Though museum records show these three images as all taken on the same date, 1936-10-05, it is more likely they represent three different school years, and the two smaller groups could represent a single class or grade level.

Date Created

circa 1936-1939


photographic prints




Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Five Oaks Museum at Research@FiveOaksMuseum.org.