Interior of Mayflower Milk Distribution Center at night

Title

Interior of Mayflower Milk Distribution Center at night

Description

Black and white image of the interior of a 'milk shop,' showing the counter and stools where customers sat and the ice cream storage and the milk shake machines. Two refrigerated cases with cubes of butter stacked on top sits behind the counter section, facing out through the display windows. The room is brightly lit and bare of advertising or any other decoration. Mayflower Milk was brand name for milk bottled by the Dairy Cooperative Association, founded in 1929. The Dairy Cooperative Association changed its name to Mayflower Farms in 1962. They merged with the Seattle-based Northwest Dairymen's Association in 1981, dropping the Mayflower brand name for its milk a few years later. Before refrigerators became common home appliances, milk was delivered daily. This distribution center in Hillsboro opened in 1947. See WCMpic_013891 for an exterior view.

Date Created

circa 1940s

Medium

gelatin silver prints

Identifier

WCMpic_013892

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Five Oaks Museum at Research@FiveOaksMuseum.org.

Collection