Forest Booster Postcard

Title

Forest Booster Postcard

Description

Black and white photograph of a forested block in the town of Forest Grove. A large house is barely visible behind the trees. Lettering on the bottom and back of the card brags about how Forest Grove is the 'prettiest town in Oregon,' an example of 'boosterism' and a common practice in the late 1800s and early 1900s, especially in smaller towns in the American West who were seeking immigrants to boost their populations and economies. This particular card was published by the Forest Grove Board of Trade, founded in 1904 to promote the commercial interests of the community.
[front] [typeset] A Forest Scene Between 4th and 5th Street. Forest Grove, the Prettiest Town in Oregon. (Over). [back] [typeset] Facts about Forest Grove, Ore. Forest Grove is the Metropolis of Washington County, and is located on the West Side Division of the S. P. Ry., 26 miles West from Portland. It has six churches. It has a city of fine homes. It has an Electric Light Plant. It has a payroll of $400,000 per annum. Its population is 2100, with 8000 tributary. It has a large flour mill--the Crescent Mill. It is surrounded by the best farms in the state. It is the prettiest city in the Oregon Country. It has a good Water System of pure, wholesome water. It has a fine Public School with 500 pupils and ten teachers. It is the home of Tualatin Academy and Pacific University. Carnation cream, the cream of creams, is manufactured here. For further information address, W. H. Hollis, Secretary Board of Trade. [typed] (over)

Date Created

circa 1904-1910

Medium

photographic postcards

Language

English

Identifier

WCMpic_015571

Rights

Online access to this image is for research and educational purposes only. To inquire about permissions, order a reproduction, or for more information, please contact the Washington County Museum at librarian@washingtoncountymuseum.org.