The Forest Grove Indian Industrial Training School was a boarding school for Native American children that operated from 1880-1885. It later became Chemawa Indian School in Salem, where it still exists today. Administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior with support from Pacific University, the school hosted students from many Northwestern tribes, often without regard for their native cultures or the wishes of their families. This collection includes photographs, rosters, letters, and other documents that shed light on the school's problematic history.
Site by Shawna Hotch and Eva Guggemos